Pages

Friday, August 4, 2017

Who Got out of the Boat?


“Oceans” by Hillsong UNITED has proven itself to be a pretty popular worship song and one of my personal favorites. My steering wheel has heard me belt that song many times. I can’t be the only one who seems to have no choice but to lift my arms and look to heaven as I sing “I will call upon your name / And keep my eyes above the waves.” Recently, however, this song gained a whole new meaning. Do I mean what I sing?

We sing, “Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders,” but, when God starts leading, we don’t follow. We cry, “Let me walk upon the waters wherever you would call me,” but, when God calls us, we stay in the boat.

“God, I didn’t really mean for you to lead me THERE! How about that way instead, where I’m much more comfortable?”

“Lord, look at those waves. You don’t REALLY want me to get out of this safe boat, do you?”

Here’s what I learned. Our comfort zone can be the most crippling place, but if you want to be used by God, you must get out of your comfort zone. You can’t stay in the same place and follow God. If you are a follower of Christ, you have to move, and moving means leaving your comfort zone. The first step is always the scariest. When the disciple Peter was sitting in the boat (Matthew 14:22-33), I believe the scariest part was putting one foot of the boat and starting to stand. That was the moment when he would discover if he would walk or sink. THIS is where faith begins—that first stance out of the boat.

1 Chronicles 4:10 records the prayer of a man named Jabez.

“Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.’ And God granted his request” (NIV)  

I love this prayer. Sounds great, right? We want more blessings, more faith, more opportunities—more, more, more! However, our retreat back to our comfort zone occurs when we realize that it all comes with more responsibilities, more obstacles, more trials. We want the good stuff God has for us without the work. We want God to lead us to great places without having to leave where were comfortable. Do we expect our body to become stronger without ever working out? Then why do we expect our spirit to become stronger without putting in the work?


I want to be used by God. I want him to lead me to places I could never imagine. I will no longer let my desire for comfort stop me from enlarging my faith. I choose to get of the boat and walk on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment