Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Five Spiritual Truths I Learned as a Teacher


Disclaimer: I am not an expert! 

I taught third grade for two years at the most amazing Christian school. This year I am beginning a new journey as a preschool teacher at a local KinderCare.
I became a teacher to impact the lives of children. I never realized how much more they would impact mine! I not only became a better teacher, but I became a better person. I not only learned more about my career, but I also learned more about Christ. Today, I want to share five Spiritual Truths I discovered while teaching! These truths are not just for teachers, but for every Christian, no matter your career, calling, or season of life.  

1.     Patience is a process.

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12 (NIV)
This one probably seems obvious, right? Kids and a need for patience just go hand-in-hand. I never knew how much patience I had until I began teaching. I also never knew how much patience I NEEDED! If only there was a switch I could flip to receive an unlimited supply… but there isn’t. It is something I prayed for and worked on daily. When my classroom was a zoo and my “cool” was being lost, I let myself pause, take a deep breath, and pray (usually aloud), “Give me patience!” Short and simple, but effective!

2.     It’s okay to make mistakes.

For though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again…” Proverbs 24:16 (NIV)
Students should make mistakes; it’s a part of learning. But me, the teacher?! No way! I needed to be perfect! Sadly, I made mistakes. Plenty of them. As hard as I tried, I assigned the wrong page numbers, misplace papers, derailed my train of thought, and, dare I say it, lost my patience. *GASP* However, my students never cared about my mistakes. My mishaps never caused them to love or respect me less. Usually, they got a good laugh out of it! (I once said “Black Booty” instead of “Black Beauty.” You can imagine the kick my third graders got out of that!) Imperfection is human. Mistakes are expected. My students never expected perfection and neither does God! So, work hard, try your best, but if you fail, grace abounds.

3.     Don’t take your calling lightly.

“In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16 (NIV)
Being a teacher is a HUGE responsibility! Future doctors, lawyers, business men and women, and scientists are in your room waiting to learn. My calling as a teacher was to give these students the best learning experience I possibly can, but as a Christian, my calling went far beyond that. I was not only educating students’ minds, but I was also ministering to their hearts. If they forgot everything I ever taught them, I hoped they always remember this truth—Jesus loves them. Whatever your career, use it to minister and shine God’s light.

4.     See people the way God sees them.

“…The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV) 
In my first year of teaching, a coworker shared that each morning she would pray, “Lord, help me see these students through Your eyes.”  I liked the sound of that so I thought I would give it a shot. LIFE CHANGER! The way I taught, encouraged, and even disciplined my students changed. I no longer labeled them by their actions, but I saw their struggles and desires. I saw their hearts. How are you viewing those around you? Is it through the world’s lenses or through God’s? Choose to see people through God’s eyes because, when you do, only one label will seem fitting for all those around you: Child of God.

5.     Above all, LOVE people.

“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8 (NIV) 
I discovered early on that the way to gain my students trust and respect was to let them know that they were genuinely loved and cared for by me. Children are not immune to the ugliness of this world. They feel hurt, pain, frustration. Some students come from broken homes or have obstacles they are struggling to overcame. Some days all they need is a hug or an encouraging word. They just need to know they are loved unconditionally. Isn’t that what being the salt and light is all about? Loving God’s people. Take a look around you. Who is crying out for love? Who needs an encouraging word? A shoulder to cry on? Reach out to them. You could be the only love they feel today.


→I want to hear from you! What truths has your calling/career taught you?← 
How is God using your “job” as His ministry?



*If God has used this blog to encourage or speak to your heart, don't keep it to yourself! Share it!*




2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kelsey, for serving our families. I especially love #3 ... Whether we are teachers, engineers, doctors or restaurant workers, God has a calling for us right where we are, and it matters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! Praying God blesses you in your calling, Christa!

      Delete