Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Waiting on God's Timing



Why is trusting God’s timing so challenging? Probably because God’s timing and my timing don’t always line up. In fact, they rarely do. I want prompt answers, immediate action, instant blessings. I want to pray for God’s guidance, receive it, and walk it out right away. However, that’s not how it works. God’s timing often means waiting and those periods of waiting can be unbearable.

Have you ever had to wait for a blessing God promised you? Maybe you thought it would happen right away, but, instead, you wondered if it would ever come to fruition. You felt that you had done everything right. You did exactly what God asked of you. Sowed the seed, tended it carefully, but it seemed that you would never reap the harvest.

Back in February my husband, Joshua, and I really began to pray about our next phase in life. As part of a fellowship program, Joshua had an opportunity to pursue a position at the National Cancer Institute. So, together we sought God for guidance. I found myself at peace with the move and feeling deep down in my spirit that this is the path we were to take. Joshua and I had such faith in God that this was His plan for us. We had put our trust—our hope—completely in Him and this job. And I began to plan out my timeline. Interview. Job offer. Wedding Day. Move. Everything was perfectly planned… by me. But I was sure God would agree with it.
The deadline for job offers came and went. We heard NOTHING. No answer. It was disheartening to say the least. I kept praying “God, if that wasn’t your plan, what is? What are we to do?” Over and over again I prayed, seeking an answer.

After days of praying, He responded, “Do you still trust me?”

“Yes, God. Of course I do. I trusted you this whole time!”

“Even in this time of waiting?”

I trusted His promises. I trusted His plan. But did I trust His silence? Did I trust Him while I was waiting?


Well, I learned to. I continued to pray and seek God’s guidance. Then I waited. And I trusted through the waiting.

Days later, everything turned around. Joshua was offered the position. I had set my own deadline, but God had a different one in mind. In that period of waiting, He was still working. Mostly, He was preparing us for the next big step.

So what do you do in that period of waiting? Galatians 6:9 says,
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Keep doing good. Serve. Seek God. Do not lose hope. Do not give up. God is making you ready. When the timing is right, God will give you the blessing you have been waiting for.




→ Let me hear from you! What blessing or promise are you waiting for?← 
How can you grow during this time of waiting?



✶ If God has used this blog to encourage or speak to your heart, don't keep it to yourself! Share it! 

2 comments:

  1. Waiting is so hard - but so good for our faith! Last Spring my husband and I had wait upon the Lord in regards to a move as well, and it definitely taught us to trust Him more deeply. Praise Him that He always provides perfectly in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was exactly what I needed! We want to buy a house so badly but we've had so many speed bumps along the way. I have to keep reminding myself that it's all in God's hand's and in His timing. There's a house He wants us to have that might not even be for sale yet. But the waiting process is the definitely the hardest. I have to remind myself daily to keep having faith in Him.

    ReplyDelete