Pages

Saturday, October 14, 2017

When in Doubt


I grew up hearing my mom tell me, “You can do hard things.” When I said “I can’t” or “It’s too hard,” that was her way of saying “You CAN; just do it.” Well here’s a secret—I’m 24 years old, miles from home, and I find myself saying that phrase to myself daily. “I can do hard things.” It no longer refers to tying my shoes or homework papers. Instead, my “hard things” are work, being away from loved ones, and other obstacles of adulthood. One thing, however, remains the same.

I doubt myself.

I doubt my abilities, my knowledge, my strength, and (more often than I like to admit) I doubt my God-given calling. In Matthew 21, we read about Jesus and his disciples returning to Jerusalem. When they pass a fig tree that bears no fruit, Jesus curses the tree and it withers. In response to the disciples’ amazement, Jesus declares, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done.”

I want that! I want to have mountain-moving faith. So, what should I do when doubt creeps in? How do I battle my lack of faith?

1.     When in doubt, stop leaning on yourself.

“Trust the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5
Too often, we rely only on ourselves and our knowledge and abilities, instead of leaning on God. No wonder there are times when we think our problems are too big or too hard! We have the ultimate source to gain strength from, but we don’t use it! Our problems may be bigger than us, but they will never be bigger than our God. Make the LORD your confidence, for it is in Him that we overcome doubt.

2.     When in doubt, go to the Word.

“For the Word of the LORD is right and true; He is faithful in all He does.” Psalm 33:4
Our doubts are created by lies, but the Bible declares the truth. Are you doubting your abilities or strength in a situation? Declare Philippians 4:13. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Do you doubt your calling? Psalm 32:8 says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.” Are you doubting God’s presence in your life? We are told in Isaiah 41:10, “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” Read the Word. Meditate on it. Memorize it. Declare these truths over your life and your doubts.

3.     When in doubt, do it anyway.

“Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.” James 2:26
Faith requires action. Overcome your doubt by facing it head on and stepping into it with faith. Too often I have based my actions on how I “feel.” I “feel” like I can’t do it. I “feel” like it’s too hard. But feelings are misleading. The only way I have ever gotten over my feelings was by ignoring them and just doing it. Take that first step. And the second. See how things change. Watch God working in your life. Experience Him taking your doubt and replacing it with faith.

Whatever it is that is causing doubt in your life, whatever mountain you are needing to be moved, trust in God, declare His Truth in your life, and just do it.  


Let me here from you! Where are you letting doubt creep in? What will you do today or this week to overcome it with faith?

→ Let me hear from you! Where are you letting doubt creep in?← 
What will you do today or this week to overcome it with faith?


 ✶ If God used this blog to encourage or speak to your heart, don't keep it to yourself! Share it! 

1 comment: